Recession Good News

Seems like everybody loves bad news these days, especially the media and their take on the “financial crisis”. Every day the news gets worse.
I’ve had to stop listening.

However, for every back there is a front, for every yin there is a yang and so I began looking for the good news---the Silver lining.

I believe that this “recession” is an expression of America coming of age. We are still a young country and we have things to learn. No longer an impetuous teenager, that thinks she knows everything, we are now more ready to listen.

As an adult, I have grown to appreciate my ancestors and their wisdom. I believe America will return to some of the values our elders held DEAR.

I predict that good things are coming.

Eating IN will become more popular and necessary as people will choose to spend their money differently. Pot-lucks, social gatherings, having friends over for meals will become the norm again. The family will once gather around the dinner table where a meal of unprocessed foods has been prepared with care. Parents will have time with their children and the dinner table will once again be a place where the “family” is strengthened.

Buying local will become a movement bigger than “going green”. Farmers’ Markets, local organic growers, and food producers will increase. People will create small gardens and, in turn, learn about improving the soil and managing waste.

Less than 60 years ago I picked vegetables from my Grandfather’s garden. As a child I learned to identify and pick dandelion, sorrel, and wild mustard greens to supplement our salad greens. I watched my Grandfather kill a chicken and I understood first hand where food came from.

Family and good neighbors will be at the core of a more simple life style. There will be less blind consumption and more creativity. Art and music will be welcomed back into our schools as a way of stimulating young minds to find creative solutions to our challenges.

Community sustainability will become the new buzz word that will shape our future city laws and plans. Already it is happening in Santa Curz, CA and Athens, OH as the waste management industry is taking hold and changing daily life.

As Americans we are by far the richest people in the world!

Even my humble apartment, by some, would be considered a Palace with it’s running water, toilet and cooking stove. Electricity, another miracle taken for granted, extends my days and ability to be productive after the sun goes down. And what about all my toys, my telephone, computer, DVD player and printer? Wow!


The last bit of good news that I can see coming down the pike is, finally, a serious look at health care system and what to do about it. Prevention will move to the top of the list. Organic, unprocessed foods will expand into all public schools. Did you know the school Obama’s children attends serves organic food in the cafeteria?

The effects of certain foods on the human body will become common knowledge. People will lean to take better care of themselves, make different choices, reducing heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity AND THE COST OF HEALTH CARE.

Yes, I believe good things are coming if we can just keep our focus on what COULD BE.

We are not just Americans, but citizens of Planet Earth, learning the ropes of GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY for all humans! And that. my friend is, “very good news!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog